Re: Proposal: OID wraparound: summary and proposal

От Neil Tiffin
Тема Re: Proposal: OID wraparound: summary and proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I would just like to comment that for our project, GNU Enterprise, we
use our own 128 bit object ID that is unique (UUID) for every row in
all tables.

It seems to me, without having looked into it, that having both a
PostgreSQL UID  and our own 128 bit objectid (UUID) is redundant and
slows the whole process down.  But we are storing object data in the
database and require and absolutely unique objectid.  We are planning
for enterprise usage and expect to need 128 bits to uniquely define
our objects.

So I would request strongly that we have an option for a 128 bit
unique id for all rows in the database and/or that it is configurable
so we can best decide how to use it.  We would like to use our own
and have the postgreSQL uid fast and small or have it larger and
slower but remove the need to generate our own uid.

Neil
neilt@gnue.org
GNU Enterprise
http://www.gnuenterprise.org/